Like most people, my life has had its fair share of highs and lows. And no matter how great those highs are, it is always difficult to overcome the lows. It’s easy to simply tell yourself to be more positive and tell yourself to think happy thoughts, but quite harder to actually put those thoughts to action. Here are some solid, doable steps that will increase your overall happiness.
1. Works Towards Not Comparing Yourself to Others — Constantly comparing yourself to others will have an adverse effect on your overall happiness. You are unlike any other person on this planet; you are unique and individual, so why compare yourself to someone else? If you focus on solely on yourself and your own personal goals, it will make for a much less stressful day-to-day life.
2. Say Cheese! – Studies show that smiling triggers mood elevation. The more you smile, even if the smile may be forced at first, the happier you will be. Smiling causes happiness, and happiness causes smiling. They go hand in hand. It’s a cycle of happiness!
3. Carve out some time for giving – Giving to a charity doesn’t have to be a financial engagement. Find a charity that really resonates with you. If you’re an animal lover, check out your local animal shelters and see what you can do to help. If you love kids, look into local less fortunate schools that have afterschool programs in need of volunteers. Seeing a smile on a kid’s face (or a wag of a dog’s tail) that you were responsible for will help put a smile back on YOUR face guaranteed.
4. Let It Go – Allow yourself to let go of grudges and forgive easily. A hardened heart makes it more difficult to be happy. It takes a lot more effort and negative energy to be angry with someone, and it will weigh you down. Holding grudges can actually increase depression, anxiety and stress. Forgiving someone for their wrongdoing can automatically lessen those negative feelings.
5. Spend Some Quality Time With Friends – Yes, it’s difficult to make plans when we all have responsibilities, schedules, and to-do lists, but setting aside time to be around your friends will send your happiness levels sky high. The connections and friendships you make with others provides an extra boost of happiness because they are similar to feelings of love.